A-Z activities

A-Z countries

What's this blog all about?

Hi, I'm Nicola - welcome to a blog begun in 2012 about family travel around the world, without leaving the UK.

I love travel adventures, but to save cash and keep my family's carbon footprint lower, I dreamt up a unique stay-at-home travel experience. So far I've visited 110 countries... without leaving the UK. Join me exploring the next 86! Or have a look at the "countries" you can discover within the UK by scrolling the labels (below right). Here's to happy travel from our doorsteps.

Around 2018 I tried a new way of writing my family's and my own UK travel adventures. Britain is a brilliant place for a staycation, mini-break and day trips. It's also a fantastic place to explore so I've begun to write up reports of places that are easy to reach by public transport. And when they are not that easy to reach I'll offer some tips on how to get there.

See www.nicolabaird.com for info about the seven books I've written, a link to my other blog on thrifty, creative childcare (homemadekids.wordpress.com) or to contact me.

Tuesday 11 February 2014

When all you want is Glamour in Chinese

This blog is about family travel around the world without leaving the UK. Impossible? No. Here I find a tiny shop in London where you can find 139 Conde Nast titles (like GQ, Vogue and Vanity Fair) published in 25 countries... Words from Nicola Baird (see www.nicolabaird.com for more info about my books and blogs). I also publish an interview every week with people who live or work in Islington at islingtonfacesblog.com - there's a prize for the 100th follower.

Around 39 million people read Vogue each month
 - so can you guess how many countries Vogue is published in?
Tucked beside a high street bank on the less glam side of Hanover Square there's a slim, white-walled newsagent which only stocks Conde Nast titles. The result is amazing - a wall of fabulous magazines in different languages, discretely ordered using the correct national flag.

If you want to learn French reading a glamorous magazine, travel like an upmarket Italian or swot up in the hope of joining Conde Nast's research team for the few countries which don't yet have their titles, then this is the newsagent to visit.

We all know Vogue and GQ, but since 2001 Conde Nast has organised 86 magazine launches around the world. There are now 20 Vogue, 18 GQ, 14 Glamour, eight Architectural Digest, two Tatler (Russia and the UK) and six Conde Nast Traveller.

2014 will see two new launches - a French Vanity Fair and a Traveller for the Middle East.

For any magazine addict it is a pleasure to visit this shop and imagine the zillions of different readers throughout the globe opening up a fresh copy of their favourite magazine.

Verdict: The perfect place for virtual travel, or simply try the website 

No comments: