A-Z activities

A-Z countries

What's this blog all about?

Hi, I'm Nicola - welcome to a blog begun in 2012 about family travel around the world, without leaving the UK.

I love travel adventures, but to save cash and keep my family's carbon footprint lower, I dreamt up a unique stay-at-home travel experience. So far I've visited 110 countries... without leaving the UK. Join me exploring the next 86! Or have a look at the "countries" you can discover within the UK by scrolling the labels (below right). Here's to happy travel from our doorsteps.

Around 2018 I tried a new way of writing my family's and my own UK travel adventures. Britain is a brilliant place for a staycation, mini-break and day trips. It's also a fantastic place to explore so I've begun to write up reports of places that are easy to reach by public transport. And when they are not that easy to reach I'll offer some tips on how to get there.

See www.nicolabaird.com for info about the seven books I've written, a link to my other blog on thrifty, creative childcare (homemadekids.wordpress.com) or to contact me.

Sunday 29 July 2007

Chasing Harry Potter

Nicola, Pete, Lola and Nell want to travel the world with a difference. We hope to get a taste of many countries without adding to climate change (with needless emissions from aeroplanes) or having to waste hours of holiday time in airport terminals. We hope our adventures inspire you to take a Grand Tour of your neighbourhood whatever the weather. This post is from Nicola

Lola missed getting Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows one minute after midnight, but she was treated to a hardback copy on the first day it was out. We bought this from WH Smith in Berwick-on-Tweed (we couldn’t find any other bookshop in the town, but this may have been because it was raining so hard we lacked motivation). The shop assistants said they’d sold 450 copies that day – later the papers said more than a million CHECK copies had been sold on the first day. It’s an astonishing success for JK Rowling – and a great relief that she insisted on having FSC certified paper for her book and that… but I can’t tell you the ending can I?

No comments: